Staff Attorney – Portland, OR
Can you keep up? Put on your running shoes and join an elite team of attorneys with a mission – better education for children in innovative schools around the country!
We’re a team of passionate professionals who’ve been called smart problem solvers, adept at communications and beyond curious. We’re looking forward to having someone who will check their attitude at the door, manage their own desk, roll up their sleeves and enjoy a high-performing team in a laughter filled environment.
Charter School Capital seeks a transactional lawyer with solid experience for our full-time Staff Attorney opening I Portland, Oregon. The role is responsible for handling a wide variety of matters in a busy corporate legal department and the successful candidate will have substantial experience in one or more of the following areas: lending/secured transactions, contract negotiation and drafting, corporate governance and compliance, and/or real estate or other commercial transactions. The position reports to the General Counsel
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports all aspects of corporate governance and compliance for the company and its subsidiaries, including drafting shareholders and directors meetings notices, resolutions, and board materials in compliance with corporate law and company organizational documents; maintaining minute books and stock ledgers; drafting intercompany agreements; and researching and making recommendations with respect to governance and compliance issues.
- Reviews, analyzes, drafts and negotiates contracts, including vendor contracts, software license agreements, non-disclosure agreements, loan and security documents, real estate purchase and sale documents, resolutions and consents, legal notices, demand letters, and pleadings.
- Handles all stages of corporate transactions, including drafting, reviewing and analyzing contracts and ancillary documents, drafting resolutions, certificates, and closing checklists, managing closings, and ensuring post-closing compliance with agreements.
- Researches and analyzes various legal issues, including reviewing and analyzing state statutes regulating the operation of charter schools and funding of charter schools, and prepares memoranda.
- Provides litigation support, including drafting affidavits, marshaling facts, managing litigation deadlines, performing legal research, drafting memoranda, and making recommendations.
- Supports the day-to-day needs of the legal department.
- Sets priorities that accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities and prioritizes assignments to complete work in a timely manner.
- Completes special projects and other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Supervises outside vendors and paralegal and department support staff, but has no direct reports.
Skills and Attributes:
- Maintains subject matter expertise with respect to corporate governance, contract drafting, negotiation, enforcement and compliance, and financial transactions.
- Quick learner, resourceful, with an excellent work ethic.
- Superior analytical, research, legal drafting, and time management skills.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to independently manage a demanding workload involving multiple tasks, responsibilities and deadlines with minimal daily supervision.
- High level of professionalism and confidentiality in all aspects of work.
- Works well independently and collaboratively in a team environment and follows through on assignments with minimal direction.
- Conscientious with excellent attention to detail and ability to perform with accuracy under pressure.
Education and Experience:
- J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school
- Admission to the Oregon bar preferred, but other states bar admissions considered
- 4+ years of legal experience, preferably in a regional or national law firm, with expertise in corporate governance and compliance, as well as one or more of the following substantive areas: lending, finance, real estate, or securities law.
- Candidate must be proficient in MS Word, Excel and Outlook. Experience with Mac OS X and SalesForce a plus.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. We offer medical, dental and vision benefits, as well as a 401(k) plan.
To be considered, please submit your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.